- 1 cup Jasmine or Jasmati white rice
- 1 tablespoon green tea leaves or green tea leaves with roasted brown rice (Genmaicha tea)
- 2 cups boiling water, allowed to cool for 2 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
Place rice in a dry saucepan over medium heat. Toast rice until fragrant and lightly golden in color, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, brew tea in water for 1 minute. Strain tea. Add hot tea to rice in the saucepan. Add salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Allow rice to rest for a few minutes. Fluff with a fork and garnish with green onions and almonds.